Location: Montreal, Quebec
Title: Research Software Developer
VIA is making an impact, and so can you.
VIA works with the world’s largest power companies to keep the lights on for millions of people using a combination of artificial intelligence, blockchain, and causal analytics. And, we need your help to make an even bigger difference.
As the Research Software Developer, you will play an integral role in the design and development of VIA’s blockchain-based application, Trusted Analytics Chain (TAC). This will include helping to develop the communication protocol to preserve data privacy during the execution of advanced analytic algorithms on TAC. The ideal candidate for this position will be responsible for understanding our clients’ goals and innovating to deliver leading-edge functionality.
- Develop and maintain APIs and validation mechanisms that will allow privacy preserving execution of advanced analytics (e.g., machine learning, statistics)
- Design and build secure, reliable, and scalable microservice components
- Contribute to deploying the components of the system as microservices
- Analyze, test, and optimize critical software modules to mitigate performance bottlenecks
- Support the architectural design and development of our TAC application
To be a high impact team member, you will have:
- MS or higher in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or science
- 2+ years of professional experience in a similar role
- Experience with multiple on-time deliveries of quality software projects
- Be an advocate for technical excellence, maintaining the highest standard of engineering practices
- Strong experience with cloud-based software development
- Proficiency with Python and test-driven development
- Working knowledge of Docker and Ansible
- Robust working knowledge of computer science in general (e.g., data structure, algorithms) and databases
- Significant understanding of machine learning or deep learning algorithms
- Exposure to the following a plus: Django, Tornado, Jenkins, databases (non-SQLDB), message broker, distributed task queue, in-memory data storages, foreign data wrapper (FDW), blockchain systems, Hadoop ecosystem (e.g., Hive, HDFS)
To be a cultural fit, you will have:
- Strong attention to detail, and be a self-starter and critical thinker with excellent follow-up and organizational skills
- A strong desire to learn and ask questions
- The ability to multitask and work independently
- A desire to work in a high energy, startup environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
How to apply:
If you feel like you’ve found your next challenge in VIA, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Research Software Developer”.