Location: Montreal, QC
Role: Backend Developer
VIA is making an impact, and so can you.
VIA is a global leader in artificial intelligence and blockchain and is going through explosive growth. We have grown 5x in the past 12 months and are set to double again this year. VIA works with the world’s largest power providers to keep the lights on for millions of people across the globe. Now, we need your help to make an even bigger difference.
As a Backend Developer at VIA, you will play an integral role in the development of applications and solutions powered by VIA’s Trusted Analytics Chain™ (TAC™) platform. Though the focus will be on backend development, you will work closely with the entire technical and client delivery team to solve a range of technical challenges.
Read more about our mission, team, and values here.
In this role, you will:
- Develop APIs for applications built on top of TAC™ in Python frameworks
- Implement best practices for code quality assurance and automated testing of our applications using, for example, pytest, mypy, flake, black, pre-commit, and related libraries
- Support the integration and deployment of backend microservices by using tools, such as, Docker, Terraform, and Ansible
- Maintain existing applications and use client feedback to design and implement new functionality
- Design application architecture and produce UML diagrams for new features/applications, (i.e. sequence diagrams)
- Collaborate with and provide feedback to core TAC™ developers on APIs and protocols
What you will bring to this role:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, mathematics, engineering, or related field
- 2+ years of relevant backend development experience
- Experience using web development frameworks such as Django to develop RESTful APIs
- Familiarity with data classes and ORM/Data models for handling data
- Robust understanding of code testing levels and techniques (e.g., unit test, mocking)
- Exposure to the following a plus: Django, Tornado, Flask, FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, databases (SQL/non-SQL), Docker/docker-compose, IT automation (Ansible), Celery, Plotly, Terraform, RabbitMQ, Authentication standards such as OAuth2, Poetry, Conda
To have a high impact at VIA, you will:
- Be a critical thinker with a passion for solving complex problems alongside teammates
- Have a desire to learn in a high-energy environment
- Demonstrate strong attention to detail and apply follow-up and organizational skills
- Be a great communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Be a part of a team that will transform the energy industry using groundbreaking technology and innovative solutions
- Enjoy sharing your passions, as a foodie, a lover of video games, a fan of pets, or having a good GIF game (doesn’t hurt either!)
What you will find at VIA:
Our approach to developing innovative solutions, commitment to continuous learning, and culture of celebrating our collective diversity makes every day rewarding!
Read about our perks and benefits here.
How to apply:
If you feel like you’ve found your next challenge in VIA, please fill out the form below!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.